Fresh and crisp Fajita Salad is loaded with tender chicken, bell peppers, onions and tossed with lettuce and favorite fajita toppings. You can make this salad with chicken or use steak or shrimp. Plus, it’s an excellent recipe for weekly meal prep if you are trying to eat lighter.
Fajita taco salad is my favorite way to prepare low-carb fajitas when I’m craving Mexican food. Instead of wrapping the chicken and peppers in tortillas, they are tossed with crisp lettuce and dressing for a light meal.
You get everything you like about chicken fajitas in this easy salad. Juicy chicken with lots of peppers and onions plus lots of toppings you would add to fajitas. It’s an easy 30-minute dinner that’s full of fresh flavors.
- Cooking spray
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- Olive oil
- Sliced bell peppers – your favorite color or do a mix of peppers.
- Sliced red onion
- Fajita seasoning
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Sliced avocado
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Prepared dressing of your choice with Mexican flavors (we like a cilantro dressing)
- Lime wedges
How to Make Fajita Salad
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat it to medium heat. Add the chicken and cook it for six to eight minutes or until it’s browned and cooked through. When it’s done, take it out of the pan and set it aside on a plate. Cover it to keep it warm.
Heat the olive oil in the same pan and then cook the peppers and onions until softened. Stir them often while they cook.
Add the fajita seasoning (follow the package instructions), water, and the cooked chicken to the pan. Stir well and cook everything for a few minutes.
Place the chopped salad in a serving bowl. Add the chicken, peppers, and onions along with the avocado and cheese. Toss to combine and then add the salsa and dressing. Garnish with lime juice.
Recipe Tips for Fajita Salad
I like chicken breasts for this recipe, but you can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Just be aware they may need more or less cooking time depending on how big they are.
You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken for less cooking time. Skip cooking the chicken and cook the bell peppers and onions first. Then, add the fajita seasoning and the shredded chicken and cook them until warmed through. This cuts about ten minutes off the recipe.
You can also use sliced steak like flank steak, strip steak, or sirloin for this recipe to make a steak fajita salad. Or, try using shrimp.
There are many options for the dressing. Look for ones that have Southwestern or Mexican flavors like chipotle ranch, avocado cilantro dressing, or you can even mix regular ranch dressing with the salsa.
This is a great recipe for meal prep. You can cook the chicken, peppers, and onions ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator for three to four days. Then, when you’re ready to eat, you can warm them up or add them to your salad cold.
Light and easy, this chicken fajita salad recipe is a great weeknight dinner when you’re craving Mexican flavors but don’t want a heavy meal. Give it a try - I think you’ll enjoy it!
More Low Carb Meals You'll Enjoy
- Taco Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Easy Keto Chicken Salad
- Zucchini Noodles with Meat Sauce
- Low Carb Parmesan Chicken Meatballs
Fajita Salad Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bit sized pieces
- 2 medium bell peppers any color, sliced
- 1 ounce packet fajita seasoning
- 3 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- ½ medium red onion sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Store bought dressing we used Salsa and a low-fat cilantro dressing
- Cooking spray
- Heat cooking spray in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally until browned and at 165°F internal heat. Remove and set aside on a plate covered.
- Add olive oil, bell peppers and onion to the pan and cook until softened, stirring often.
- Follow instructions on the fajita mix and add the mix in with water along with the chicken and stir. Let heat for 3 minutes
- Add Chicken, vegetables, avocado and cheese to the lettuce in a large bowl. Toss until mixed. Serve in individual bowls and dress with your favorite dressing, salsa and cheese. Squeeze on a little lime juice. Enjoy!
Fajita Salad is the perfect low carb swap for when you’re craving Mexican food! Toss them with lettuce and a light dressing for a lighter meal.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.