Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are filled with crab meat, cream cheese, and stuffing and topped with crispy panko breadcrumbs. It's an easy appetizer recipe for parties or holiday meals.
Mushrooms are always a great appetizer and even better when you stuff them with something delicious. There are many crab-stuffed mushroom recipes, and this version has a holiday twist with the addition of stuffing - you can make a boxed stuffing mix or use leftover stuffing to make them.
You can assemble these crab-stuffed portobello mushrooms ahead of time and then keep them in the refrigerator. Once you're ready to serve them, you can pop them in the oven. They only need about 15 minutes to bake.
- Whole baby bella mushrooms with the stems removed.
- Boxed stuffing - or you can use leftover homemade stuffing.
- Softened cream cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Panko bread crumbs
- Melted butter
- Grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the mushrooms in a single layer in a baking dish or on a sheet pan.
Prepare the stuffing following the package instructions. If you are using homemade stuffing, you will need about 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups. Place half of the stuffing in a mixing bowl and set it aside.
Combine the crab, cream cheese, and green onions in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the stuffing and mix to combine.
Stuff each mushroom cap with the crab mixture. Each one should hold between a tablespoon and one and a half tablespoons.
Combine the bread crumbs, melted butter, and cheese in a small bowl.
Top each stuffed mushroom with the bread crumb mixture.
Bake the crab stuffed mushrooms for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops start to brown.
Let them cool at room temperature for five minutes. Sprinkle chopped green onions over the top for serving.
What's the best way to clean fresh mushrooms?
Mushrooms are like sponges, so the best way to clean them is with a damp paper towel or paper towels. If you soak them, they will absorb the water and will take longer to cook. So, use the damp towel to brush and wipe off the dirt.
Can you use fresh crab meat for this recipe?
You can use cooked fresh crab or canned lump crab meat. You will need to chop or shred the meat, so it fits in the mushroom caps.
What other kinds of mushrooms can you use?
Other small mushrooms will work like cremini or white mushrooms. You need them big enough to hold the filling, so just keep that in mind. White button mushrooms are probably too small, so I would avoid those.
What else can you add to stuff mushrooms?
You can sub half of the cream cheese for cheddar cheese for a different flavor. Some minced garlic mixed into the filling would work well, too.
For garnishes, try squeezing some fresh lemon juice over the top and a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
Whether you make these crab stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese for a party, game day, or holiday meal, I know they'll be a hit. The combination of flavors is delicious and makes the perfect bite. Enjoy!
More Appetizers To Try
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- 1 lb Whole Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 6 oz box of stuffing prepared (you will only need about half, this is a great recipe to use your leftover stuffing!)
- 6 oz Crab Meat
- 1 - 4 oz package of cream cheese softened
- ⅛ C fresh green onions chopped. More for garnish.
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread crumbs
- 2 Tbs butter melted
- 1/2 C. grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse and prepare mushrooms by removing stems, place in a baking dish or sheet pan.
- Prepare stuffing per the box instructions (or use about 1.5 - 2 cups of leftovers if you have it!), place half in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together crab meat, cream cheese, and green onions. Add to the stuffing and mix until combined.
- Stuff each mushroom cap with about 1 Tbs to 1.5 Tbs of stuffing/crab mixture.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, melted butter and parmesan cheese and top each mushroom with 1-2 tsp.
- Bake in the preheated oven uncovered for 15 - 20 min until the tops begin to brown.
- Remove and let rest for 5 min, top with freshly chopped green onions, enjoy!
These Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are SO good! They are filled with crab meat, cream cheese, and stuffing and topped with crispy panko breadcrumbs.
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.