This chicken street tacos recipe is easy to make and great for your weekly taco night. Street taco tortillas are filled with seasoned chicken and topped with black beans, red onion, avocado, and tomatoes. It’s a fresh dinner that’s quick to make on a weeknight.
These chicken street tacos are a quick and easy taco recipe that is perfect for weeknight dinners. We love to load these tacos up with all kinds of delicious toppings like avocado, tomatoes, and sour cream.
We love our taco night and try to make tacos at least once a week. It’s a great excuse to try out new recipes because I don’t like to have the same boring tacos every week, so I’m always experimenting with new ideas.
Easy Street Taco Recipe
This recipe is inspired by Mexican street tacos, which are simple tacos made with small tortillas. This makes them easy to hold and eat if you are on the go. There are tons of street tacos variations, and this version is made with seasoned chicken.
You can serve them in large taco tortillas, but the small ones are fun – look for them where the other tortillas are in the store. I see them at pretty much every mainstream grocery store in our area.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken taco seasoning – I like to use McCormick brand
- Sliced avocado
- Diced red onion
- Diced Roma tomato
- Black beans
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Sour Cream
- Street taco tortillas – corn tortillas are traditional for street tacos, but you can also buy flour street taco tortillas.
How to Make Street Tacos
Place the chicken breasts in a pot and cover them with water. Bring the pot to a boil and boil the chicken until they are cooked through. The cooking time will depend on how big the chicken pieces are, but it should only take about 10 to 15 minutes.
The easiest way to know when the chicken is done is to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. It should ready 165°F.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the ingredients to make your tacos:
- Slice the avocados
- Dice the onions
- Dice the tomatoes
When the chicken is done, remove them from the pot and place them in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning over the top and then shred the chicken using two forks.
Pro tip: You can also use a hand mixer to shred chicken. Turn it to low to medium speed and use the beaters to shred the chicken. Just be careful not to over mix, so the chicken is not too finely shredded.
Assemble the tacos: Place some shredded chicken in a tortilla and top it with the onion, tomatoes, black beans, and avocado. Add some sour cream and cilantro as a garnish. For serving, I like to add lime wedges so everyone can squeeze fresh lime juice over the top of their tacos.
Side Dish Ideas for Street Tacos
- Serve your tacos with a side of Mexican rice or cilantro lime rice.
- Add a side of refried beans topped with melted cheese.
- We love to have ours with tortilla chips, salsa, and guacamole.
- A couple of margaritas are always nice, too!
Make these shredded chicken street tacos for your next taco night, and I know they’ll be a hit. They’re so easy, and everyone can add their favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Side Dishes to Make with Tacos
Chicken Street Tacos Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 1 pkt McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning.
- 1 Avocado sliced
- ¼ Cup Red Onion diced
- 1 Roma Tomato diced
- ¼ Cup Black Beans
- Cilantro for garnish
- 1-2 Limes
- Sour Cream
- 1 package of street taco tortillas
- Boil Chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- While chicken is cooking, slice avocado, dice onion and tomatoes.
- Remove chicken from water, place in a medium mixing bowl, sprinkle taco seasoning over it and shred with a fork.
- Prepare each taco with ⅛ cup of chicken, top with red onion, tomatoes, black beans, and avocado.
- Garnish with cilantro and sour cream, serve with a couple limes on the side.
This chicken street tacos recipe is easy to make and great for your weekly taco night. It’s a fresh recipe that’s simple to make!
Mel is an IT guy turned blogger and is discovering his love of cooking and photography. If you ever have Fantasy Football questions, he's your guy.