This Homemade Caramel Corn uses easy-to find ingredients and is simple to make.
You'll wonder why you've never made it before! If you want the best caramel corn ever, here it is!
Do you know how easy it is to make caramel corn at home?
I've been making this caramel popcorn for my children for years. The recipe appeared in one of those children's magazines that used to be popular years ago. Yes, that's right my children are grown and left home and I'm STILL making this caramel corn. This recipe is so easy. It takes less than 15 minutes to have a batch ready to eat and no thermometer needed!
And the steps are so easy:
- melt the butter, sugar and corn syrup
- boil for 2 minutes
- add bicarbonate of soda
- stir into popped corn
- bake for 5 minutes
That's right boil for 2 minutes then bake for 5 minutes. How quick is that?
Homemade caramel corn with nuts is even better.
How can a good recipe be improved? By adding nuts, of course! You could add any nuts you like but I prefer peanuts. The flavors of corn, peanuts and caramel are a match made in heaven. For that delicious salty/sweet combination, use salted, roasted peanuts.
Top tips for perfect caramel corn
Firstly, if you follow the direction in the recipe you will find that this recipe is neither difficult nor messy. Be sure to use non stick baking paper to line the baking pans for easy clean up. Boil the caramel only after the butter has melted and the dark brown sugar is dissolved. Also, it is important to remove the pan from the heat when adding the bicarbonate of soda to avoid burning the caramel. And remember, caramel corn will harden as it cool. Finally, if you have leftovers, store in an airtight container at room temperature - not the in the refrigerator.
There is one problem that I know you will have - you won't be able to stop eating this caramel corn. It is totally addictive!
So the next time you need snacks to go, you won't need to look any further. You have the recipe for caramel corn with nuts. Why not included some of my famous nuts and bolts and sweet pizzelle as well. Or go all out with a popcorn party with this amazing smore's popcorn recipe!
This Caramel Corn is exactly what you need for your next movie night at home because it is so easy and delicious.
Homemade Caramel Corn
- 10 cups popped corn
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter chopped
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup peanuts roasted and salted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large, deep baking tray with non stick paper.
- Place the popped corn into a large bowl
- Place the sugar, butter and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and stir over low heat until the butter is melted and the brown sugar is dissolved. Don't allow it to boil until this has happened.
- Bring to the boil then boil uncovered for 2 minutes. Don't stir at all.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda. The mixture will foam and lighten a little.
- Pour the hot caramel over the popped corn. Sprinkle the peanuts on as well.
- Using a spatula stir the caramel into the corn and peanuts until evenly coated. Work quickly before the caramel sets. Be careful - the caramel is hot!
- Evenly spread the caramel coated corn and peanuts into the prepared baking tray.
- Cook in the oven for 5 minutes or until the corn is crisp.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
**Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!**
Dorothy is a blogger over at CrazyforCrust.com, where she's been sharing recipes with a slice of life for almost 10 years. She's married to Mel, the other half of Easy Good Ideas, and together they are raising a teenager and dog in Northern California.