Browned Butter Smashed Potatoes are an easy side dish recipe perfect for casual dinners or entertaining.
Ultra crispy smashed potatoes are drizzled with toasted, browned butter to make a lip-smacking comforting dish.
Browned Butter Smashed Potatoes are easy to prepare for a weeknight side or decadent enough for dinner guests.
There’s good reason why smashed potato recipes are all the rage. Although these potatoes are simple and easy to make, they consistently turn out mind-blowing amazing.
Only a couple steps stands in the way of enjoying the best potato you’ll ever eat.
How to Make Browned Butter Smashed Potatoes
Smashed potatoes start with a simple boiled potato. For this recipe, I prepared the potatoes using Boiled Salt Potatoes recipe to make the insides ultra creamy and flavored.
Next, simply melt the butter on the stovetop. Heat it a few minutes longer to give the butter the nutty, browned butter flavor.
Toss the cooked potatoes with the browned butter on a baking sheet and smash the potatoes with a fork, bottom of a cup, or potato masher. Bake until the potatoes are crispy and golden.
What are the Best Potatoes To Use For Smashed Potatoes?
For smashed potatoes recipe use a potato with a thin skin that holds it shape while boiling.
The best medium or low-starch potatoes to use are red, gold, or new potatoes. Make sure they are smaller and uniformly-sized so they cook evenly and quickly.
Other Ways to Prepare Smashed Potatoes
- After baking, sprinkle with cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes
- As butter is browning, stir in minced garlic to sauté and flavor potatoes
- Try Loaded Smashed Potatoes – sprinkle with cheddar cheese, chopped bacon, chives, and dollop with sour cream
- Top with pesto and mozzarella
- Salt and Vinegar – drizzle with a splash of vinegar and kosher salt
Love Potatoes? Check Out Other Easy Potato Recipes!
Browned Butter Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds small red or gold potatoes, about 1 1/2"-2" diameter
- 3/4 cup salt, for boiling salt potatoes
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot place 3/4 cup of salt and fill about halfway with warm water. Stir water to dissolve salt. Add washed, WHOLE potatoes to pot. Add more water to cover potatoes.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a small skillet melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter is fully melted watch carefully and stir occasionally so butter doesn't burn. First the butter will foam, then the milk solids will start to settle at the bottom. Watch for the milk solids to turn brown. Once that happens, immediately remove from heat. TIP: Pour browned butter into a bowl so it doesn't cook more and burn from residual heat of pan.
- Place cooked, drained potatoes on a large baking sheet. Pour browned butter over the top, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and toss to coat potatoes. Use the bottom of a cup, fork, or potato masher to "smash" potatoes. Bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until potatoes are crispy and golden. If desired, season potatoes with additional salt and pepper.